Thursday, April 28, 2011

A Different Perspective

As I was clicking around on the computer (& listening to the neighbor's yippy dog) I came across a place where bible verses are interpreted metaphysically. If the verse you are looking for hasn't been interpreted yet, you are able to ask them to interpret it for you. Awesome.

The verse I read about tonight was John 14:5-6

"Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me."

According to Rev. Ed at unity.org, traditionally these couple verses are taken to mean that anyone who is not a Christian is going to hell.

Don't you think that's a little crazy? Considering that Jesus is supposed to love us all no matter what...

Here is a different interpretation, one that makes more sense to me. Jesus is telling us to seek out and surrender to the Christ-like presence/energy within us. Only by doing this can we reach what we call 'God'. There are many paths to God. Jesus provides a path, along with Buddha, Muhammad, and others. No one way is the 'right' way but they all achieve the same purpose-to connect with God, our creator. Other names for God are light, being, presence, the now, etc.

3 comments:

  1. Great blog, and I especially love this idea about "Jesus is telling us to seek out and surrender to the Christ-like presence/energy within us." So many Christians think you must submit to some imaginary friend and pray to/talk to this imaginary entity for life if you want to get into heaven. To me it is obviously about an energetic potentiality within us all, not some outside savior we have to find. Keep up the great writing! Peace

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eric!! I appreciate the comment. It is so liberating to see God in this way versus the traditional and religious way. I wish more people were more open-minded. We will get there one day :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm a little late in reading this, but I'm really interested in this post...what's the website that you used to get this interpretation? It seems interesting/helpful.

    ReplyDelete